There are a variety of screening and assessment tools that may be used during the assessment process to determine a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder according to DSM-5 or ICD-10 criteria.
These may include:
- The Child Autism Rating Scale (CARS)
- The Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS)
- Autism Detection in Early Childhood (ADEC)
- The Autism Diagnostic Interview – revised (ADI-R)
- The Social Communication Questionnaire (SCQ).
In addition, diagnosing professionals often administer cognitive tests and other assessments to gather information about the person’s development.