Autism Tasmania coordinates peer-led support groups and social events across the state for parents, children and adults on the spectrum. We also offer support for those seeking to establish new groups. Numbers are limited for some of these events, so we ask that you register your interest with us before attending.
Meet our peer support network team here…
Autism Tasmania’s peer-led support group activities operate within COVID-safe guidelines. Please contact us if you would like more information.
Statewide Peer Networks
Peer Support The Autistic Way (Project update: March 2021)
What is Peer Support the Autistic Way?
“Peer Support the Autistic Way” is a project that aims to provide meaningful ways for adults on the autism spectrum to connect with each other. The project is co-designed by adults on the autism spectrum.
The peer support programs are informal, non-therapeutic groups for autistic adults to meet regularly in a space where they can be themselves, have fun, support each other, and share interests, skills and information. The groups are facilitated by autistic adults who are passionate about the benefits of peer support.
This project is funded by Autism Tasmania and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), but you do not need to be an NDIS participant to be involved.
What have we done so far?
- After a period of research, resource development, recruitment, training and planning, we launched two trial groups in Hobart. The Hobart Young Adult Group and the Hobart Over 25s Group
- Both groups are now full, however as they develop spaces may become available. We plan to start new groups across the state after a period of evaluation.
What are we doing now?
- We have just appointed Daniel Zomerdyk as Coordinator of our autistic-led peer support program. Daniel has been involved with Autism Tasmania as an Autistic Consultant within our training program for several years, and is also the Co-Facilitator of the Hobart Young Adult Group. As someone on the spectrum, Daniel is passionate about seeing the community expand to create a space for people to find a sense of belonging.
- We are developing further resources for our Facilitators. We are working with:
- Working it Out for LGBTQI+ Inclusiveness
- Amovita for Accidental Counselling
- We are continuing to evaluate our pilot model as preparation for launching new groups.
If you would like to be kept informed about the progress of Peer Support the Autistic Way, or would like to express an interest in joining a group in the future, please contact Courtney Landers (email@example.com) with your name, age and postcode.
Parent Information Sessions cover a wide variety of topics related to autism and cater for families of children of all ages. See our events listings page for details of upcoming sessions in your area.
Facebook Peer support group for parents.
Occasional in-person activities in Hobart. Contact the organisers for current details.
Search for Autism Warriors Tasmania on Facebook.
Northern Tasmania Peer Networks
Northern Adult Group
Peer support group for adults on the autism spectrum
Date: Meet second Saturday of the month
Time: 1pm – 3pm
Venue: Red Dove Cafe, Paterson Street, Launceston
Sometimes the group meets for a picnic or other activities in different places. If you are interested in joining this group please send your contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will keep you informed.
A friendship group for children and their parents/carers who love Lego.
Meetings for this group are currently on hold while it waits for a new Coordinator. Are you interested in this role? Or sharing it with someone? If you would like to find out what is involved please contact us.
North West Tasmania Peer Networks
The A.R.T. Project (Autism Related Talk)
A chance for parents and carers of those on the spectrum to find mutual support. Come along and share resources and ideas about the challenges and successes that caring for a person on the autism spectrum may bring.
When: Every Monday from 11am to 12 noon
Venue: The Crowded Lounge – 129 Gilbert Street Latrobe
Contact: 6722 5000
West Coast Peer Networks
Rosebery Carer Peer Support Group
Casual get together, chat over a cuppa, and the occasional speakers and activities.
Venue: Rosebery Community Centre
Contact: Kathryn 0475 589 711
Back to Our Services